Jana

Jana

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Recipe: "Mediterranean" Quesadilla (a Pinterest-inspired Spin-off)

Each Monday, as part of my New Years Resolutions (yes, I'm still working on them), I try to have a Meatless Monday. Some days I just whip up a meatless spaghetti or loaded baked potatoes (try this one...without the ham). Other days I really try to think outside the box. Check these out:

So yesterday I was determined to do a Meatless Monday Meal. I have been seeing this recipe for Spinach Burgers a LOT on Pinterest lately, and decided I wanted to give it a try. Unfortunately, I didn't have all the proper ingredients, and I didn't have any buns (me without bread?! I know, right?) and I didn't want to make any buns. So a little digging in my freezer and in my fridge brought out some ingredients that I thought would make a good spin-off of that Spinach Burger, and I must say, it was GOOD! My husband ate it up, and then said, "You don't always have to do something fancy. I'll take a meal like this any time!" Oh yeah! It only took a few minutes to make and was oh-so-yummy! 

"Mediterranean" Quesadilla 
Looks a lot like the Spinach-Feta Calzone, huh? But it's not! 

Ingredients: 
  • 4 cups fresh spinach leaves 
  • 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1 whole egg
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheese (I used white cheddar)
  • 1/2 cup bread crumbs
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 Tbsp *Mediterranean spice rub
  • 1 package FlatOut Flatbread (if you have not seen this yet, you need to get it! Go here to see what I'm talking about)  
  • Cooking spray 
Directions
  1. If you are using a griddle, preheat it to 300 degrees. If you are using a pan, then just wait until your mixture is ready, and then heat to med-high.
  2. In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients except the flatbread (and the cooking spray, obviously). I used my hands to make sure the spinach leaves got good and mushed up (that's a technical term right there). I tried to make sure, though, the chickpeas did not get all squished. 
  3. Once the skillet or griddle is warmed, spray both sides of the flatbread with the cooking spray and lay it on the griddle. Spoon a portion onto the flatbread on one side. Fold the other half over the mixture, much like you would do with a quesadilla. Cook on each side for 3-5 minutes, or until a golden brown. 
That's it!! Stinkin' simple, and can be ready in 15 minutes (for a family of 5). I paired it with some steamed carrots and sliced bell peppers from my garden. 

And here's a free one: I'm big on rubs. I have all kinds filling up my pantry shelves, and one of my favorites is my Mediterranean one. You can put it on chicken, pork, potatoes, or mix it in something you want a little kick to. 

*Mediterranean Spice Rub

In a small jar (mason jar!!!) mix together these spices: 
  • 3 Tbsp dried rosemary
  • 2 Tbsp ground cumin
  • 2 Tbsp dried oregano
  • 1 Tbsp dried thyme
  • 2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 tsp salt 
Mix together and use! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment