Jana

Jana

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Food: Waffled Crepes with Tropical Sauce

Last night for Meatless Monday I made some of my Waffled Falafels. And since my waffle iron was already out this morning, I decided to check out The Waffleizer website to see what kind of breakfast ideas could be found. Lo and Behold! I found a recipe for crepes. I have not made crepes since my French class in college (where I was dubbed the best crepe maker in the class!!) They were incredibly easy to make, but I was afraid to try them again without my French professor making sure I had the right technique. But when I saw the recipe for Waffled Crepe Batter, I figured it wouldn't hurt trying out crepes in my waffle iron. I tweaked the recipe just a tad to make it a little healthier, and I added a "tropical sauce" for the top. I think if you were to try these, you would be pleasantly surprised.


Waffled Crepes with Tropical Sauce
Ingredients: 

For the crepes: 
  • 4 eggs 
  • 1 cup 1% (or less) milk
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp Turbinado sugar
  • 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/4 cup all purpose flour 
So notice I have regular white sugar here in the picture? Yeah, I quickly changed it to Turbinado sugar. And look at the flour in the small measuring cup. See the wheat on the bottom and the all purpose on top? Yup, That's how I roll! 

For the sauce: 
  • 2 cups of frozen tropical fruit (pineapples, mangos, peaches, and strawberries) 
  • 1 tsp vanilla 


Directions: 

For the crepes: 
  1. In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs and milk together. 
  2. Add salt, sugar, and flour and whisk until smooth (the original recipe said until slightly lumpy, but I got a little carried away, and made my smooth, and it worked just fine) 
  3. Set aside for 30 minutes 
Take this time to get your waffle iron ready and your tropical sauce prepared. 

For the sauce: 
  1. Put the fruit into a blender. Let it sit for about 5 minutes to defrost just a little. You don't want to burn  your motor out trying to blend rock hard fruit. 
  2. Pulse until the fruit is pretty much chopped up. 
  3. Add the vanilla to the fruit and blend until creamy or slightly lumpy. 
To Make the Crepes: 
  1. Pour the batter in the waffle iron. I filled mine just enough to cover the little squares. Because it is eggs, it's going to expand. You don't want it too big. PLUS, crepes are meant to be kind of thin and light. 
  2. Close the lid and watch the steam. When the steam is starting to slow down, check your crepes. If they are golden brown, take them out. 
  3. Add a spoonful (that's an official measurement) on top of each waffled crepe. 
  4. OPTIONAL: add a slight dusting of powdered sugar on top. 

These little beauties are filling. I gave my kids two squares each, and they were full. I really, really love the tropical sauce (which I think is basically fruit sorbet, but I'll have to do research on that). Try these and let me know what you think! 

No comments:

Post a Comment