Jana

Jana

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Food: "Healthy" Homemade Oreos

I posted a short note about Homemade Oreos a little while ago, but promised I would return with my "healthier" version. I jumped right on it!

So, for those of you who missed it. I got the original recipe here, at Pennies On a Platter. The steps on how to make the cookies are pretty much the same, but the ingredients are different. Just want to make sure credit is given where it's due.

"Healthy" Homemade Oreos




Ingredients: 


For the cookies:

  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature (Make your own butter here!) 
  • 1/2 cup Turbinado sugar
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup all purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 Tbsp flax seed
  • 3/4 cup cocoa powder 
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup skim or 1% milk 
For the icing (the part everyone likes to lick!): 
  • 1/3 cup butter, melted
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 3-4 cups powdered sugar
  • 2 egg whites 
Directions: 

For the cookies: 
  1. Cream the butter and sugar together in a mixer. 
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk together all the dry ingredients. 
  3. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture until well blended. 
  4. Slowly add milk. NOTE: the mixture is going to be the consistency of play-dough. 
  5. Separate the dough into two logs that are rolled to be about 1 1/2 inch thick. 
  6. Wrap them in plastic wrap and refrigerator for a minimum of an hour. 
  7. When ready, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. 
  8. Take one log out at a time. Thinly slice (about 1/8 inch) the log. Make sure you try to make an even amount so you aren't tempted to eat the leftover cookie *wink* Put on a cookie sheet with parchment paper OR use a stone. Then do the same to the other log. 
  9. Place the sheets in the oven and bake for 8 minutes, rotating the sheets halfway through. 
  10. Let the cookies rest for 5 minutes before you transfer them to a cooling rack. 
  11. COOL COMPLETELY. 
For the icing: 
  1. Beat egg whites until they are fluffy. Set aside. 
  2. Mix together the butter and vanilla. Slowly add 3 cups of the powdered sugar. Mix well. 
  3. Add the egg whites until the icing is creamy. 
  4. Add about 1/4 cup of powdered sugar at a time until the icing is good and thick. For me, my perfect consistency was a little over 3 1/2 cups (TOTAL) of powdered sugar. 
To Assemble the OREOs!! 
  1. Place the icing on top of one chocolate cookie. 
  2. Put another on top. 
  3. Repeat until done. :) 
  4. I put mine in a freezer, but I would at least recommend storing them in an air-tight container in the refrigerator. 
For me, I made about 40 cookies. That will last...oh...1 day in my house. My kids and husband LOVE these, and these cookies are great for me to satisfy my sweet tooth. And now they are a little healthier, I won't feel quite so bad popping one or two of these while I blog. :) 

Check out the pics! 
Roll the logs until they are a little larger than a quarter. 

Use a serrated knife to slice those cookies! 
That's a LOT of cookies! 

Let them dry (see my coffee smoothie there? That's my breakfast! Try this recipe!
While the cookies are baking, make the icing. It really only takes a few minutes, so by the time you are done with this, it should be time to pull the cookies out. 

Ice those cookies!! 
Oh, yeah! Yum! 





Look at my kids loving these! Yours will too! 


No comments:

Post a Comment