Jana

Jana

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Tuesday's Food: Spinach and Feta-Stuffed Calzone

Oh, Pinterest. You have done it again. In my search for Meatless Monday meals, I found a recipe for Spinach and Feta-Stuffed Focaccia. We are pretty big fans of all of those ingredients in my house, so it seemed like a winner to me. I adjusted the recipe just a tad, and I'm going to share it with you. This recipe was incredible and filling. All family members ate a huge helping. So if 3 boys and 1 picky girl like it, you should too! :)

Spinach and Feta-Stuffed Calzone
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 chopped onion
3 garlic cloves, minced
15 oz baby spinach
3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
2/3 cup golden raisins
3 Tbsp pine nuts
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 1/2 tsp chopped fresh oregano
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground chili pepper
Homemade Pizza Dough (try this recipe and you'll never go back!)
Cooking Spray
1 Tbsp milk
1 Tbsp water
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese


  1. Prepare pizza dough according to directions. Place on a pizza stone or greased cookie sheet. Spread out to a large rectangle (15 x 12 inch). *You can always use refrigerated pizza dough, but you must really try the homemade stuff. It only takes a few minutes. 
  2. Preheat oven to 450. 
  3. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; saute for 1 minute. Add half of the spinach and stir until the spinach wilts (about 1 minute). Add the remaining spinach; cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly, until spinach wilts. Remove from heat and stir in feta, raisins, nuts, lemon juice, oregano, salt, and chili pepper. 
  4. Spread spinach mixture lengthwise over half of the dough, leaving a 1-inch border. Fold the other half of the dough over the filling, pressing the edges together with a fork. Cut 5 (1 inch) diagonal slits in the top of the dough. 
  5. Combine milk and water and brush evenly over the dough. Sprinkle with Parmesan. 
  6. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. 
I had to take a quick photo of it before I forgot, so it's not the best quality, but believe me, it's yummy! 


I told the hubs that I could always add meat next time if I made it for a non-Meatless Monday meal. He said, "NO!...I mean. It's perfect just the way it is." Yup. My meat and potatoes man just said no to meat because the meal was THAT GOOD! 

For real. Try it. You will like it. No, you will LOVE it! :) 

Happy Cooking, everyone! 


No comments:

Post a Comment