Jana

Jana

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Thursday's Crafting: DIY Cake Plates

This year for Christmas, I went on a spree of making the gifts we gave. Most of the stuff was either things you put on food (meat rubs) or things you put on your body (bath salts or hand scrub), but one of my favorite things I made this year was a cake plate. This only took a few minutes of my time and just a few bucks. I know that people are scared to make gifts that cost little for risk of sounding cheap, but it doesn't have to be that way. As long as you put your heart into it and it comes out beautiful, then who cares that it only cost $5? If you are still game, then check out the tutorial below.

Things You'll Need:

  • Plate (I went to Goodwill and found a beautiful set of plates for $2)
  • Candle holder, glass or porecelin cup (I went to The Dollar Tree and picked up a few candle holders, 2 ice cream cups, 2 glass coffee cups, and 2 very beautiful drinking glasses) 
  • Super glue (Make sure that if you are using clear glass, get the kind of glue that is meant for repairing glass. The regular stuff dries yellow) 
  • (Optional): pencil 
  • A Heavy book

Instructions
  1. Wash dishes and candle holders. Dry completely. 
  2. Turn the cake plate face down. Decide which part of the candle holder you want attached to the plate and the part to hold the cake plate up. Spread a thin layer of super glue to the part of the candle holder that is going on the plate. Quickly and carefully attach the candle holder to the plate. Make sure you are careful to put it exactly where you want it. You may want to measure where you want the candle holder to go before you glue it. Use the pencil to mark where the candle holder will go. Please note, the glue dries quickly (as fast as 15 seconds, depending on the glue you get). Once you have it glued down, you may not be able to move it. 
  3. Leave the cake plate face down. Gently lay a heavy book on top of the bottom of the candle holder. This will apply pressure you need to help set the glue. 
  4. Your cake plate can be ready as quickly as 5 minutes, but I recommend you let it sit for 24 hours. 
Voila! You are done! Check out the pictures below for examples I did. This can be a great last minute gift for a friend or something you can make for your own home. Have fun with the type of plates and holders you use. Happy crafting, everyone! 

I made a candy dish for a friend and made the bath salts to go with it. 

The plate I made for my mom. Isn't it pretty? 

Here's an close up look of the glass I used. 

No comments:

Post a Comment