Jana

Jana

Monday, January 9, 2012

Monday's Devotion: Good and Perfect Gifts

"Everything good comes from God. Every perfect gift is from Him. These good gifts come down from the Father who made all the lights in the sky. But God never changes like the shadows from those lights. He is always the same." James 1:17


Last night I went on a date. Okay, it wasn't really a "date", but my husband set me up on a coffee date with another mom. Our husbands thought it would be a good idea that we actually get out and away from the kids for a while to just talk and sip coffee. And as crazy as our lives are (as all moms' lives are), we went out for coffee and stayed until they kicked us out only to continue our conversation for another 30 minutes in the parking lot. What did we talk about? Our kids. Mostly our kids. And after talking about the struggles and joys we go through every day in our homes with our children and husbands, God opened, no reminded, my mind of the gifts I have in my children. I, as so many other moms do, struggle with making sure my children are well-behaved. It warms my heart to hear other people talk about my kids' good manners and how they really enjoy the company of my kids. I have such high expectations for my kids, that I am in constant stress-mode to make sure they are working towards those expectations. And then God said through my friend last night, "They are kids. They are well-behaved, but they are kids, and are going to act like kids."

This morning as I was doing my devotional, two things happened: 1: Although my devotion wasn't necessarily about kids, God kept tugging at my heart with little reminders that my heart needs to be in the right place when I discipline my children, and I need to set reasonable expectations for them. and 2: My children are God's gifts to me. Psalm 127:3 says, "Children are a gift from the Lord, a reward from a mother's womb." He felt I could do this job; I could raise my kids in a way that is pleasing to Him. So many times I forget that they are His gift. So many times I let Satan encourage me to be overly harsh with my words or I discipline when I should just explain.

This week I prepare my home for my youngest child's 3rd birthday party. Planning those types of events excite me and frustrate me all at the same time. I love to get creative and find ways to create memories for my children and their friends. But that also means that my patience has a small fuse. I want things to be just right. I want everything to go smoothly. And with kids, that never happens. I thank God that He has reminded me of the gifts I have in my children. One of my goals this year is to speak softer to my children. I didn't do such a great job last week, but the Lord has given me another week to train myself to be a better mom.

Here are some ways to pray for your children. Remember, they are God's gifts. Treat them as so.

1. 31 Ways to Pray for Your Children
2. 31 Biblical Virtues to Pray for Your Children
3. Prayer Calendars 

So blessed with three crazy kids! 


No comments:

Post a Comment