Jana

Jana

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Wednesday's Cleaning: 5 Minutes to a cleaner bathroom

As some of you know, I recently got a job being a web writer for Bounty paper towels. For that job, I am to write a few articles a month on cleaning ideas, crafting ideas, and cooking ideas (right up my alley, right?!). My first article I submitted was a 5 Minutes to a Cleaner Bathroom. I was a little nervous about it not working right, but I tried it out and it works great! So I'm sharing it with you.

Making your own window, sink, mirror cleaning solution:
1 cup rubbing alcohol
1 cup water
1 Tablespoon white vinegar

Mix together. The vinegar cuts through soap scum, leaves no residue, and is a natural deoderizer. The alcohol evaporates quickly, leaves no residue, and is safe for most surfaces. The combination works well on mirrors, windows, chrome and stainless steal.

Using the cleaning solution, you will need:
1. Cleaning solution (mentioned above)
2. 15 sheets of Bounty paper towels, still attached
3. scissors
4. an old wipes case or other air tight container.

Fold the towels to resemble an accordion or zig zag, again, still connected. Cut in half, still keeping the accordion look. Place paper towels in wipe case or air tight container and pour Cleaning solution over the towels. The paper towels will absorb most of the liquid eventually.

After you get out of your shower, and while you are waiting on your conditioner to set, pull one or two towels out and do a quick swipe of your mirrors, windows, sink, and counter. It may look a little wet at first, but remember that the alcohol will evaporate quickly. (I was worried about this the first time when my mirror was soaking wet. After a few minutes, not only was my mirror dry, but there was no residue left... Hallelujah! I got so excited, I took a few sheets and cleaned the toilet and tub as well...doing the ENTIRE bathroom took no more than 10 minutes). Doing this quick, cleaning activity once a day or once every other day will cut back on your deep cleaning time and keep your bathroom looking and smelling fresh!

NOTE: (and this I did not put on the Bounty site; I thought it would be too cheesy) You can use other brands of paper towels on this. I used Publix brand the first time, and it worked fine. BUT the Bounty paper towels did seem to work better.

1 comment:

  1. NOTE: I have tried this for a few days now, and it works decently well. I want to remind you, though, this is a quick fix until you can actually get in there to clean. I have noticed on my mirrors that they are super clean until someone takes a shower. Then it's obvious it needs cleaning again. Luckily it only takes a few seconds to do, but it is something I found I do once a day. Also, the first few times I did it, I didn't rub the liquid on the mirror until it dried, and it did leave a few marks. I would recommend you just keep rubbing until it dries (it takes only a few extra seconds).

    Did anyone try this? Any suggestions, complaints?

    ReplyDelete