Jana

Jana

Monday, June 20, 2011

Thursday's Crafting (belated post): Making camping supplies

This week's curriculum, as detailed in tomorrow's post, focuses on a camping theme. The website I use suggested making binoculars out of every day items. I did that and also had them make a compass. It was so easy!

Binoculars: (My mom helped them do this part while I was letting someone demo a vacuum cleaner in my house, so I have no pictures of them putting this together).
Things you will need:
1. Two toilet paper rolls
2. String
3. Glue
4. Markers or paint

Steps:
1. Have the children paint the toilet paper rolls however they wish. They can color camping themes (leaves, tents, trees, birds, etc) or just color.
2. Glue the two rolls together.
3. Cut the string long enough to go safely around your child's neck and have the binoculars hang halfway down his chest.
4. After the binoculars are dry, glue a string on the outer edge (on the inside) of the rolls.
DONE!

Compass: (Pictures available!)
Things you need:
1. A small box (toothpaste box, soap box, etc)
2. Construction paper (or paint)
3. Glue
4. one white index card
5. paper clip
6. Pen, pencil, crayon, or colored pencil (I guess I should have said "writing utensil")

Steps:
1. Measure and cut construction paper to fit around box. I used the same method as I do when I am wrapping presents.
2. Glue the paper to the box.

3. While glue is drying, cut a small circle out of the index card. Write the letters for North, South, East, and West accordingly.

4. Glue on top of the box.
5. (This is a PARENT step): unfold the paper clip where it is pointed on one end and still rounded on the other. Poke the paper clip through the center of the compass. The rounded part should be movable so the child can "have it point South" or whatever direction.





DONE!

Now take some cute pictures and then have them explore the Great Outdoors!

No comments:

Post a Comment