Jana

Jana

Monday, June 13, 2011

Monday's Devotion: How Did I Miss This Before?!

Ephesians 6: 10-18 (The Message)And that about wraps it up. God is strong, and he wants you strong. So take everything the Master has set out for you, well-made weapons of the best materials. And put them to use so you will be able to stand up to everything the Devil throws your way. This is no afternoon athletic contest that we'll walk away from and forget about in a couple of hours. This is for keeps, a life-or-death fight to the finish against the Devil and all his angels.

Be prepared. You're up against far more than you can handle on your own. Take all the help you can get, every weapon God has issued, so that when it's all over but the shouting you'll still be on your feet. Truth, righteousness, peace, faith, and salvation are more than words. Learn how to apply them. You'll need them throughout your life. God's Word is an indispensable weapon. In the same way, prayer is essential in this ongoing warfare. Pray hard and long. Pray for your brothers and sisters. Keep your eyes open. Keep each other's spirits up so that no one falls behind or drops out.

I have been in the church all my life. I have heard these verses over and over again. I have even done a Bible study on these verses in college where I "made" a belt of righteousness and other props showing how to put on the full armor of God. It wasn't until last week I was doing my morning devotion when the verse hit me in a way that it has never hit me before...

I have been through turmoil. Life has been this roller coaster of really good things switching places with the not-so-good. Having my house for sale for 3 years while I moved my family in to my parents' house would be a good example. Another would be shortly after having  my first child, my husband and I went through some major financial problems. We were literally living off of rice and ketchup (my poor man's version of red rice) so that my son could have food to eat. Those years are what I call "the dark years"....and I got through them. 

So how did these verses suddenly open my eyes? Well, we are going through right now what I recognize as "times of peace". We are able to eat, drive to places, and provide for our children. My kids are asking about the Lord, and my husband and I are spending daily time in prayer. The Lord has been placing on my heart a lot lately that those times turmoil will come again, and  I need to be prepared. Suddenly "putting on the full armor of God" has taken a new meaning. I used to read those verses and say, "Okay, got it. Read the Bible, memorize verses, be prepared to fight against what Satan is going to throw at me." Now, as I read them, I realize that God is saying, "Jana, train. Train now for those tough times that are going to come again. You can't expect to run this race if  you have not been training. You can't expect to defeat Satan and all his nastiness (financial problems, relationship issues, health issues, etc) if you are not waist deep in My word, love, and protection." 

So here I am, a 25 year "Christian Veteran", seriously taking God seriously. I'm  not waiting until I hit rock bottom to dig deep in His word anymore. I'm not going to church and taking notes just to not review them later anymore. While things are going great, I'm storing up piles and piles of verses that will help remind me that God is in control. I'm turning a new leaf with the Lord while I currently have the strength to grow. No more am I going to not train only to let Satan beat me up. I'm putting on that Armor, daily, and know that God and I will defeat Satan when he rears his ugly head again. 


1 comment:

  1. Great post! BTW Have you checked out the Door Posts Charts? I LOVE THEM! We are seeing REAL changes in our home. http://www.doorposts.com/details.aspx?id=91
    I also bought Isabella and a devotional/Bible training guide that will lead her up to adult hood. http://www.doorposts.com/details.aspx?id=18 I am going to try it out with her and see if I like it before buying one for the boys. I flipped through it and love the projects.

    ReplyDelete