Jana

Jana

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Tuesday's Food: Jiffy Fried Squash

My mom gave me two medium squash and one VERY large zucchini. I don't fry much food in my house, but occasionally I like a good fried squash and zucchini. I had a box of Jiffy mix that I had opened that morning to use on the bagels I made, and I didn't want to waste it. So, why not use it as a batter to fry those lovely vegetables in? They were a hit in my house, and a must for future meals!

Jiffy Fried Squash (and Zucchini)

Ingredients: 
1. 2-3 Medium squash (and/or one large zucchini)
2. One box of Jiffy cornbread
3. 2 eggs
4. 1-2 Tablespoons spicy mustard
5. salt and pepper to taste
6. Cooking spray



Directions: 

1. Cut squash into 1/8- 1/4 inch slices (basically thin slices) 
2. Pour Jiffy mix into a small bowl. Add salt and pepper. 
3. In another bowl, mix together the eggs, mustard, and salt and pepper (if desired) 
4. Heat a medium pan on medium to high heat, until water evaporates quickly. Spray the pan with the cooking spray. With one hand, pick up a piece of squash, lightly dip it on both sides into the egg mixture, then place it in the Jiffy bowl. With your other hand, sprinkle jiffy mix over the squash making sure the entire squash has mix on it. (Keep that hand dry) 
5. Place in hot, greased pan. After about 2 minutes, flip. It should be golden brown on both sides. 
6. Place on a plate with a paper towel to absorb any extra oil. 
7. Repeat until all pieces are done. You may have to add another egg and some mustard to the egg bowl near the end. 





This turned out great! If you try it, let me know what you think? How would you change it? Looking forward to hearing from you!

The plate was full when I put it on the table. They began eating it faster than I could grab the camera. Luckily I got it when I did, otherwise you would not have been able to see a final product. 

2 comments:

  1. Made this tonight with Zucchini and it was so good with chicken and corn on the cob.Followed exact recipe & I plan on doing the same next with fried green tomatoes!
    Thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This great! I didn't have any corn meal but this worked just as well. Thanks !

    ReplyDelete