Jana

Jana

Friday, June 24, 2011

Summer Pancakes

This week has been one of saying, "I have so much of _____ left over! What am I going to do with it?" And then I make something that turns out fantastic. One instance of this was this morning. My husband decided to work from home today, so instead of the usual Friday cereal breakfast, I wanted to do something a little more filling for my man. I looked around and found some extra strawberries (The Pig had a TON on sale, so I grabbed that junk up!) and a few limes (from a Lime Pound Cake I was going to make last week, and never did). So, pancakes it is!

Ingredients:
1. DIY Baking Mix (2 cups)
2. 2 eggs
3. 1 cup and 1 Tbsp milk (divided)
4. 5 fresh strawberries (stem, hulled, and chopped)
5. 1 lime
6. 1/2 cup powdered sugar

Directions:
1. Mix 2 cups of Baking mix, eggs, 1 cup of milk. (The regular recipe calls for 1 cup of Baking mix, but since you are adding other stuff, it's best to add a little more mix).
2. Zest lime and add to baking mix, along with strawberries. Mix well.
3. Juice 1/2 of the lime and add to the baking mix.
4. Preheat skillet on medium heat, and make your pancakes as you normally would (butter, cooking spray, etc)
5. While the pancakes are cooking, in a small bowl, mix together the powdered sugar, the juice of the other half of the lime, and 1 Tablespoon of milk. Taste and add more milk or powdered sugar according to taste. This will be your syrup.

Once you are done, drizzle the "lime syrup" on your plate, place your pancakes on top, and enjoy!

What to do with the leftover lime? Place the halves in a small saucepan and cover with water. Boil on medium heat. This acts as a natural air freshener for your house. It also softens the lime so you can use it for an additional air freshener by grinding it in your garbage disposal.

My family ate this up, and I only wish I had made more! Give it a try and tell me what you think! I would love pictures as well. My family ate it up before I had a chance to take any pics.

Picture provided by the lovely Loren Bradshaw (I almost said, "Harvey!") 

No comments:

Post a Comment