Jana

Jana

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Wednesday's Cleaning: Using Everyday Items Around the House to Clean, part 5: Baking Soda

This is it! The last part of my "Using Everyday Items Around the House to Clean" series (say that 10 times fast!) I have finally made it to Baking Soda! We have seen this little friend in the other posts, especially with vinegar and citrus, but today we are going to making Baking Soda the "STAR"! I asked on Facebook, again, some ideas from my friends, and, again, I was blessed with some knowledgeable people! See those smart people, and a few of the internet sources I used, below.



So, Baking Soda, what can you do?

Deodorizer: (this was the #1 way I saw uses for Baking Soda)

  • Sprinkle in a trash can 
  • Sprinkle in diaper pail
  • Sprinkle on carpet (I use this one in the boys' room...stinky, stinky boys) 
  • Place a box in the fridge (when I was kid, this is the only use I thought it had) 
  • Pour 1/2 cup into your garbage disposal and then pour vinegar (or warm water) over the baking soda
  • Sprinkle on camping gear after a trip (I wish I had known this last weekend!) 
  • Clean out tupperware with baking soda to remove stale food smells (JOE DEBNEY, you are expected to do this when you finally bring home all my tupperware from work!!...love you!) 
Stains: (this was mostly with a mixture of baking soda and warm water)
  • Get stains out clothes
  • Coffee stains on cups (sprinkle Baking Soda and then rinse with warm water)
  • Scuff marks and grease spills (sprinkle and then rinse with warm water)
  • Scuff marks and crayon markings off walls (sprinkle on wet rag and wipe away)
  • Remove kool-aid from counters with a baking soda and water mixture
Basic Cleaning
  • Add to laundry (saw quite a few ways to do this. Check out the sites provided to see more details)
  • Clean combs and hairbrushes in a baking soda and water solution
  • Clean stainless steel (sprinkle on a damp rag and rub)
  • Clean a flat top range (from my favorite, obsessive cleaning friend!) 
  • Scrub the inside of your fridge AND microwave with a little baking soda in some warm water
  • Clean children's toys in a mixture of 1/4 cup baking soda and 1 quart water)
  • Mop tile floors and/or bathroom floors with a mixture of 1/2 cup baking soda and water. Just mop and rinse
  • Clean shower doors (1/2 lemon dipped in baking soda) 
Some non-cleaning, but really cool other uses
  • bee stings (hey dad, did you know this?!) 
  • settles stomach issues (saw this quite a bit in my research, but most came with warnings about OVER indulging)
  • Toothpaste (2 T coconut oil, 3 T Baking Soda, 1/2 packet of stevia powder, 10 drops of peppermint)
  • To put out a grease fire, sprinkle baking soda on the flames 

Let me just say that this is a SHORT list. Many of the other uses, though, were about the same, just more specific (like deodorizing your pets). I hope this opened your eyes to some new uses for baking soda. My eyes were sure opened! 
Sources

No comments:

Post a Comment