Jana

Jana

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Tuesday's Food: Lemon and Dill Fish and Spinach

It's Tuesday! You know that means I'm going to share another one of my crockpot recipes. I missed last week's post, and I'm so sorry for that, so today I'm going to post something nice for you fish lovers out there.

Just a note: I don't like fish. I know, I know. I'm from Charleston, and I don't really like any creature that lives in the water, with the exception of alligator. It's the smell. I have a very sensitive sense of smell. I know I need fish, though, so every once in a while (my goal is once a week) I make fish for the family. I figured one of these days I'll be able to handle fish without drowning it in vinegar or some other seasoning.

Now, on to the recipe. I got the crockpot recipe from Stephanie O'Dea's website (here), and I made a few adjustments. So here is my twist of the recipe:

Lemon and Dill Fish and Spinach:


1/2 pound to 2 pounds of fish. (It is suggested to have salmon, but all I had on hand was halibut) 
--2 lemons
--12 oz of fresh spinach
--1/2 t black pepper
--3/4 t kosher salt
--2 t dill
--1  bottle of Apple Crisp Cider (again, I had Hornsby. The recipe called for white wine, water, or apple juice) 



Directions: 

1. Wash spinach and place inside the crockpot. 



2. Place fish on top of spinach. 
3. Mix seasoning together and then sprinkle on both sides of the fish. 


4. Slice the lemons and place them on top of the fish. 


5. Pour the bottle of the apple cider (hard cider) on top (if you don't want to use cider, you can use 1/4 cup of water, white wine, or apple juice). 

6. Cook on low for 2 hours. 

I served mine with steamed potatoes (that I cut up and put in another smaller crockpot for the same time the fish cooked), steamed broccoli (that I served sprinkled with white cheddar cheese), and sliced homemade bread. YUM! 



If you like fish, I really think you would like this. It didn't make my house smell fishy (more like lemon), which is saying a lot for someone like me. I loved how healthy this meal was, and I was able to use the leftover fish to make "tuna" sandwiches the next day (mixed with 1/2 cup of crockpot yogurt a Tbsp of salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, 2 T of italian dressing, and 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese).  







1 comment:

  1. I really need more fish in my life, I actually like it, but am terrified of preparing it! I love how empowered the crock pot can make me feel! :)

    ReplyDelete