Jana

Jana

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Thursday's Craft: Using Apples!

Oh crafts. It's the one thing I love, love, love to do, but never seem to have time to indulge. I set up Thursdays as my days to share my crafts, but haven't really stuck to it so hot. Most times I will make something and not take pictures, so then I don't want to post it. OR I will get in a sewing frenzy and whip up quite a few things (normally for my daughter) and then I don't have time to post. But today is your lucky day! While  my daughter is creating her own craft today, I am going to do a quick post on crafting with apples.

Two weeks ago, my daughter's curriculum was covering Adam and Eve. We did a few things with apples, and I thought since apple season is here (go here for an awesome place to pick apples) I would share a few ideas to do with all those apples I know you are going to get! 

Apple Prints: (super easy craft to do with any kid, really...and a yummy snack for later!)
       Ingredients: 
  1. Apple (and a knife to cut it)
  2. Cinnamon/sugar 
  3. Kool-aid fizz tablets and 1/2 cup water
  4. Construction paper
  5. Red, green, and brown marker
        Steps: 
  • In one bowl, dissolve kool-aid fizz tablet in water. 


  • While that is fizzing, cut your apple in half, and have your child count the seeds on the inside. 


  • In a separate bowl, mix cinnamon and sugar. 
  • Dip the apples first into the kool-aid and then into the cinnamon/sugar mixture. 


  • Press the apple firmly onto the construction paper and then lift. Glue seeds in the center of the stamped apple. 


  • With the red, green, and brown markers, draw the outline of the apple around your stamp. Add a stem and a leaf. 
When you are done, you can core the apple, add peanut butter and top with raisins! Yum! Crafts that are yummy! 



2. Apple Wreath (I do not have pictures of this one. Sorry!)

Items needed: 
  • 3-4 apples. Go for a variety, but it is not necessary
  • Oven or dehydrator 
  • Fishing line 
  • floral wire
  • (Optional): fall leaves, pine cones, etc and hot glue gun
Steps: 
  • Cut the apples into 1/8 inch slices
  • Dehydrate them (go here for directions) 
  • String your dried apple slices until you have the size of wreath you want
  • Shape the floral wire into a circle the size of your wreath. A tip here, would be to find a bowl or pot that is about the size of your wreath and shape it around that. 
  • Feed wire through the apple and tighten at the top. 
  • (Optional) Hot glue other "fall" items onto the wreath such as leaves and pine cones. 
And you're done! This will be a craft we will be doing in the near future (as soon as we go to an orchard to get some great apples!) I'm excited about this one! 

So that's about it for now. What other crafts do you do with apples? 





No comments:

Post a Comment