Jana

Jana

Friday, September 16, 2011

Guest Post: Slow Cooker Black Beans

Ready for another adaptation of Stephanie O'Dea's crockpot recipes? I AM! I AM! And now that the weather if finally getting cooler, there is just something comforting about whipping up something in the crockpot. Check out this recipe from my friend Tara over at MommyTime. And please look at the note from me (in purple) on after her post. 


Friday! So, if you have been keeping up, Jana and I from Just Makin’ It are cooking our way through Steaphani O’Dea’s A Year of Slow Cooking. We are on recipe 7. Everyone make it through this week? Great. Let’s talk about Black Beans. Black beans… black beans… I wish I could come up with something nice to say. They smelled good… We just aren’t besties. I started this recipe with full intentions of making Black Bean Enchiladas. I threw it on my menu plan twice because I couldn’t bring myself to make them the first week. I finally made them. They smelled awesome in my slow cooker but they just weren’t for me. I think it’s a texture thing. I just couldn’t get over it. More about that in a second.
Click on the link below to get the original recipe.
Slow Cooker Mexican Black Beans Recipe
Adapted from Stephanie O’Dea’s A Year of Slow Cooking
6 cups of water with 4 chicken Bullion Cubes
2 Soup Spoons full of minced garlic
1 can of diced tomatoes
1 pack of taco seasoning
1 pound of black beans (Make sure to do the overnight soak or the quick soak- directions are on the back of your bag of beans)
Add ingredients to your slow cooker. Make sure to stir and set it to low and cook for 8 hours.
They smelled so good when they were cooking. I could not wait to try them. When they were done, I quickly made myself a bowl and,… I can’t put my finger on why the texture got to me, but I just couldn’t finish the bowl. The taste was great. If you like black beans then try these, but if you are like me then skip the beans and make chicken enchiladas for dinner :)

As I was checking out her post, I noticed she was not too happy with the results. I beg you, though, if you are like her to not ditch the beans if they just don't turn out right. I LOVE beans (they are good for the heart, right?), especially in the cooler weather. Try adapting my recipe for Kidney Bean Meatballs with the black beans. It might be that extra kick you need and you get that healthy protein you need! Happy cooking, all! 

No comments:

Post a Comment