Jana

Jana

Friday, September 9, 2011

Guest Post: Slow Cooker Tomato Soup

So, this has been another off week for me. For some reason getting a steady schedule this school year is harder than before. Here it is Friday, and I finally seem to have my act together, but I had no posts for you. :( Lucky for you, though, my friend Tara over at Mommy Time, has come through with another crockpot recipe. If you haven't already been to her website, you really need to. She's fantastic! Check it out. Tell her what you think. And here is her post: 


It’s Friday! It’s been one of those weeks. I am barely keeping my head above water over here. I’m sure many of you feel my pain. Don’t you love Slow Cooked Fridays? I do! I look forward to the one day of the week that I know I have no plans to cook (really cook). I have no idea what I am going to be throwing in that slow cooker tomorrow, but, I am sure it will involve chicken and no real work for me :) Speaking of, my crock- pot bit the dust at the ripe ‘ol age of 7 months. It was cracked in the bottom. I have no idea what happened to it because my last crock-pot lasted through years of cooking. I think everyone must be on a slow cooker kick with the new websites coming out about crock pots because when I went to Target to buy a new one.. they were sold. out. I ended up with this one.
Here’s my thoughts on it so far.  LOVE the automatic shut off! Great function. One I have never had before. However when it goes into the warming mode, it makes a really loud squeal that makes me jump. It sounds like our fire alarms, but not as loud. I think I will get used to it.  Other than that, I am happy.
The recipe,… still want it?
Before I just fork it over, let me say it was good. When I read the title, “Restaurant-Quality Crock-pot Tomato Soup Recipe” I knew I needed to try it. I love tomato soup and the very idea of having some fresh tomatoes simmering away quietly in my slow cooker just made me giddy.  Was it restaurant quality? YES!  The man really liked it, I of course liked it and guess who else! Thing 1 and Thing 3 ate bowls of this stuff. Thing 2 wasn’t up for even trying it. I was surprised and very pleased!
Here’s how I made it.
Restaurant- Quality Crock-pot Tomato Soup Recipe
Adapted from Stephani O’Dea’s A Year of Slow Cooking
3 lbs of vine- ripened tomatoes
1 tbsp onion powder
2 cups of tomato juice
3 tbsp white sugar
1 chicken bullion cube
about 2 tbsp basil
1 cup heavy cream
salt and pepper to taste
Parmesan cheese for garnish
I got exactly 3 pounds. We did have enough soup left over to freeze a small batch.
Rub a dub dub dub, 3 lbs. of tomatoes in a tub. I use Environne to wash all of my produce (no affiliation, I just love the product!).
Once they are good and clean get them ready to quarter.
Don’t bother peeling them. Slow cooker meals aren’t supposed to be a ton of work :) Quarter them and add them to your slow cooker.
Add the rest of your ingredients.
Cook it on low for 6-8 hours and let it go.
After my timer went off, I used my soup blender to help me to get it to the consistency that we enjoy. A few chunks and creamy all at the same time. I stirred in one cup of heavy cream and served it in a bowl with parmesan as garnish.
If you are a fan of tomato soup and have a slow cooker, please try it. It is as good as the stove top versions that I have tried and the best part is you start it in the morning and when you are ready to eat, it’s ready to be served.
I hope everyone has a great weekend!
God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment