Jana

Jana

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Tuesday's Food: First Day of School Dinner and dessert

Making the first day of school special for my children is something I have always desired to do. Now that my dream of staying at home to greet my children with cookies (okay, slices of apples) after a long day of school has come true, I really make an effort to make each year special. This year's First Day of School dinner was SO yummy, it cooked all day in the crockpots, and were gone before I had a chance to find tupperware to store the leftovers.

My girl, Tara, who has a great blog, and I have kicked around the idea of following another blog focused on A Year of Slow Cooking where we split the year and blog about it on our pages (Tara, I'm still not opposed to the idea!) I went to this Slow Cooking site to get some ideas for this year's special dinner. I'm going to share what I did.

Menu:
Peppercorn Steak (which came out tasting like an incredible roast)
Sweet Potatoes
Steamed Green Beans
Spinach Salad
Sourdough Bread (found on the clearance rack at Wal-mart because it was two days away from exp. date)
Chocolate Pie

It was such a treat to be able to help my boys end their first day of school with a hearty, healthy meal.

Any particular tradition you do after the first day of school? How about the first week? Share your ideas!



1 comment:

  1. I'm game! Still adjusting to our new schedule too. :( just now reading posts. Haven't had time to even write one. Soon :)

    ReplyDelete