* Note: you can adjust these measurements if you don't want a bag this big. These measurements are based off the two bags I have done. Also, the inner fabric I used was one of those plastic tablecloths with the soft underlining. This works well so if there is something wet on the inside, it can easily be wiped off and not ruin the entire bag.
2. Inner fabric (IF): 32x17 inches in matching or coordinating fabric.
3. 32x4 inch outer fabric (for strap)
4. 12x3 inch inner fabric (for added padding in the strap)
5. Matching thread
6. a cutting board, scissors, and a sewing machine
Steps: (Note: My instructions are slightly different from the pictures. It was one of those, "Oh! I should have done that!" thing after the product was complete).
- Measure and mark the center of OF and IF. Line up the centers with and pin.
- Sew the two together
- Fold in half with right sides facing each other (to make a 32x2 inch strap). Sew and turn inside out.
- Set aside
- With right sides facing each other, fold OF over the edge of the IF. Sew 3 sides. Flip inside out.
- Here is where the pictures begin to be different, AND this is where you can do the optional closing cover
- Closing cover: Hem three of the edges. Tuck the opening between the OF and IF on side of the bag. Pin
- Straps: on the side seams of the bag, tuck the ends of the strap. Pin.
- On the other opening (where the closing cover is NOT), fold the OF and IF in and pin.
- Do a fancy stitch around the entire opening of the bag.
- And voila! You should be done!
|With it open|
|With it closed|