Made From "Scratch" Corn Bread Muffins
- 1 cup corn meal
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup turbinado sugar (you can use regular white sugar, but I really love the "molasses" taste of the turbinado
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 2 Tbsp butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a small bowl, and the wet ingredients (except the melted butter) in a large bowl. Once those two are well blended, combine them in the large bowl and mix well. (TIP: this is where I would also sometimes add garlic powder and/or shredded cheddar cheese as well, but I wanted them "plain" last night). Let the batter sit for about 3-5 minutes.
- While the batter is sitting, prepare your muffin tins. Either spray with a cooking spray or line with cupcake wrappers.
- Fill each cupcake wrapper about 3/4 full. This recipe will make 12 regular size muffins (or 6 LARGE muffins or 24 mini-muffins...whatever floats your boat).
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Right after you pull the muffins out, brush the tops of the muffins with a little bit of the melted butter.
That's pretty much it. It's not that much harder than dumping a box (or two) of Jiffy mix in a bowl and adding an egg and milk. But I really love that I'm finding uses for that corn meal that I have sitting in a large mason jar in my pantry. My family loved the muffins, and I was pleasantly surprised by how good they were!
|Don't tell me this doesn't make you want to whip up a batch of White Bean and Apple Chili! Yummy!|