Today's feature recipe is White Bean and Apple Chili (Original recipe here).
And sorry, there are no pictures. This was eaten so quickly that there wasn't even a chance to snap a picture.
Ingredients: (Don't be intimidated by the amount that goes into this. It's really a little bit of this and a little bit of that. Prepare the spices together ahead of time and it should take no time at all the make this soup)
- 3 Cans of white beans
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 small apples, chopped (leave peel on)
- 3 garlic cloves, diced
- 3 T butter
- 2 tsp chili powder (use more if you like spice)
- 1/2 tsp ground thyme
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 4 cups broth (I used chicken, but vegetable is a good substitute....I wouldn't do beef)
- 1/2 cup low fat sour cream
- Put butter in the bottom of the crockpot.
- dump in the rest of the ingredients, saving the sour cream for last
- Cover and cook LOW 8 hours or HIGH 4-5 hours
- Stir in cheddar cheese (and I did a dollop of sour cream) in your bowl and EAT!
I served this with some Jiffy Cornbread muffins. My husband was seriously skeptical about this recipe. He was not excited about eating a soup that tasted like apples. But after eating one bowl, pretty quickly, he got seconds. This was amazingly good! It wasn't sweet and surprisingly filling. Two bowls was plenty. If you are looking for a good vegetarian meal or something pretty quick to put together, this is really a great recipe. It's not too heavy, but just perfect for these 60 degree weather days. It took me no time to put it in before church and was ready by the time we got home. Please, please try this one. And if you try it with a green apple, let me know how it tastes. I bet it's just as good!