What You'll Need:
- 1 inch wide ribbon (I like my base to be a sturdy ribbon, so none of that satin or sheer stuff for the base)
- 1/2 inch wide ribbon (now here is where I add the fancy stuff)
- Measuring tape
- A small bottle of liquid stitch (no sewing machine required!!!)
- 1 bobby pin
- Using the measuring tape, measure the length of your head where the headband will be.
- Cut a strip of your base ribbon to the measurement you just got.
- Cut a strip of the "fancy" ribbon the measurement you got PLUS 6-10 INCHES. You want this part to be longer. How much you want to hang from the back is how much you cut. If you don't want much to hang, then just cut "Measurement + 6 inches".
- Fold the base in half to find the center. Lightly mark the center with the pencil. Do the same for the "fancy" ribbon. (You can mark the inside of the fancy ribbon if you are afraid someone will see your pencil markings).
- Put the centers together, with both ribbons facing UP. Hold with the bobby pin.
- Use the pencil to mark where the base ribbon ends on your fancy ribbon on both ends.
- Pull one side up and apply the Liquid Stitch from the center of the "fancy" ribbon to the marked end. You don't want glue to go over the end of the base because it will then stick to your hair...or table. Gently lay the ribbon flat down the center of the base ribbon and smooth flat.
- Repeat on the other side.
- Go apply lipstick or pull your hair up in a ponytail or something to give the ribbons a few seconds to dry. :)
- Then tie the ribbon around your head.
Simple. Easy. and Beautiful! You can make one of these for really any occasion. You can make the ribbons larger or smaller as well. I have a small head, so any ribbon larger than that just looks ridiculous on me, so 1 inch is about as big as I'm going to get. You could also add a little something-something to your ribbon if you like. My friend, Meredith, makes these AMAZING Felt Flowers for your hair. One of those would look just lovely attached to the ribbon as well!
|Here's the headband that got all the attention at church last night...don't mind the tank top. I'm about to tackle the garden and mow the lawn. :)|
|Here's the headband I just made. Representing my team in Garnet and Black. Go Gamecocks!!|
PS: for the 4th of July, I'm thinking of a Blue Base, Red insert, and then (yes! a third ribbon!!!) a star sheer ribbon in the center! I will try to post a picture of it as soon as I buy the ribbon to complete it. :)
Happy Crafting, everyone!