Jana

Jana

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Food: My Go-To Pancakes

Pancakes. Yes, the good, filling food that makes most people happy. Think about all the restaurants that are open just because of pancakes. I make them at least once a week in my house. Some days I get fancy with them (see my Cappuccino Pancakes, Summer Pancakes, and Lemon Souffle Pancakes with Strawberry Syrup), but most days I just make plain ole pancakes. I have pretty much figured the best recipe (a compilation of a few different recipes I have found) for my family. And now with our new griddle, pancakes have become some serious business in our house. So here is my recipe for a basic pancake batter:

Basic, Fluffy Pancake

What You'll Need:

  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 3 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 Tbsp white sugar
  • 1 1/4 cups  milk
  • 1 egg
  • 3 Tbsp butter, melted 
  • 2 tsp vanilla 
Instructions: 
  1. In a medium bowl, mix the dry ingredients. I sometimes use a fork to "sift" the ingredients. 
  2. Make a little well in the middle of the dry ingredients and slowly add the wet ingredients. Mix well. (NOTE: sometimes I let this sit in the fridge overnight so the batter is ready in the morning. I really, really like how it settles. If you do this, it may be best to add the melted butter in the morning). 
  3. Heat your griddle or skillet on medium heat, pour pancakes (about 4 inches in diameter). Let cook until is begins to bubble around the edges. Gently ease your spatula under the pancake and flip.Cook until it is golden brown. This should really take about 2 minutes on each side. 
  4. Serve and amaze your family! 
These pancakes are so good! They rival just about any restaurant pancakes. For real. Sometimes I will add some chopped walnuts or fruit to the batter. Maybe a little cinnamon, if I'm feeling spicy. :) AND they freeze well. I normally double this recipe, making about 30 (4 inch) pancakes. My family of 5 will go through about half of that, maybe a little more, and then I freeze the rest for me to grab and reheat (15-30 secs in the microwave) for Sunday mornings before church or early morning school days when I am just not feeling the cooking thing. 

What do you like to put in your pancakes? I would love to hear what your family favorite is! 

This was what was left over after the boys all ate breakfast this morning.
Thank goodness we are having brinner tonight! 
UPDATE:

I have recently gone low carb, so these pancakes, as they are above, are really out of the question for me, as the carb count was equivalent to what I could eat in ONE DAY. So I did some experimenting. I have made a low carb version of this recipe that tastes lovely and is just as easy to make.

Low Carb Pancakes

What You'll Need:
  • 1 1/2 cups ALMOND flour, I use Bob's Red Mill or my homemade version
  • 3 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt {this is decreased...trust me}
  • 1 Tbsp Truvia baking blend
  • 1 1/4 cups  ALMOND milk
  • 1 egg
  • 3 Tbsp butter, melted 
  • 2 tsp vanilla 
Instructions: 
  1. In a medium bowl, mix the dry ingredients. I sometimes use a fork to "sift" the ingredients. 
  2. Make a little well in the middle of the dry ingredients and slowly add the wet ingredients. Mix well. (NOTE: sometimes I let this sit in the fridge overnight so the batter is ready in the morning. I really, really like how it settles. If you do this, it may be best to add the melted butter in the morning). 
  3. Heat your griddle or skillet on medium heat {NOTE, turn the temperature a little lower than you would the regular pancakes}, pour pancakes (about 4 inches in diameter). Let cook until is begins to bubble around the edges. This takes a little longer than regular pancakes, more like a crepe. It's a little trial and error to get it right, but I basically waited until they looked like flat eggs. Gently ease your spatula under the pancake and flip.Cook until it is golden brown. This should really take about 2-5 minutes on each side. 
  4. Serve with 1/2 cup fresh berries and amaze your family! 
At 4g carbs for each serving, this turns out to be a great breakfast for those who are low carbing and still craving the pancakes. Hope you enjoy. 

See how flat they turn out? If those in the back were regular pancakes, they would be ready to turn, but these need to settle completely before flipping. 

2 comments:

  1. I just calculated the nutritional info, if anyone is interested:

    Serving size: 2 pancakes (8 total servings in mix)

    Per Serving...

    Calories: 153
    Carbs: 20
    Fat: 5
    Protein: 5

    ReplyDelete
  2. We usually have blueberry pancakes, but last Saturday I tried apple rings instead. I found the idea on Pinterest (where else!) and thought I'd give it a shot. They turned out really yummy!

    ReplyDelete