Jana

Jana

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Crafting: Easter Outfits

This is going to be a quick one. For Easter this year, I wanted to make most of our outfits. So, I made 1) my daughter's dress, 2) my dress, and 3) the boys' bow ties. I wanted to share the links I used as tutorials. They are on my list of "must have" tutorials.

1. Abigail's dress: The Cottage Home, Party Dress for Little Girl
I found this dress on Allfreesewing.com about a year or two ago, and I have used it so much! I love it because Abigail looks good in these dresses, and she loves it because she can twirl and twirl and twirl. I often tell people, though, this is my most frustrating dress. For some reason it takes me about 6 hours (from cutting the material to the final stitch) to make. And it's not that hard to do. But she loves them, and I'll keep making them. The pattern goes up to size 5, so that will take my daughter until she is 6 to wear these dresses. Here is how Abigail's Easter dress turned out:
Front 

Back 
Showing off her dress 

My pretty little girl 
2. The Boys' Bow Ties: A Lemon Squeezy Home, Bow Tie Tutorial

 I took the leftover material from Abigail's dress and made bow ties for the boys so they would match. This tutorial was SO easy! I kid you not. This is a great tutorial for beginners. Give this a try. Here are a few pictures of the boys and their bow ties:
With the blue material

With the flowered material
Look how adorable my kids are with their matching outfits. 
3. As for my dress, I used an old dress that is pretty, but also pretty simple in it's design. I used some wax paper to trace the dress and got to work. There was a LOT of trial and error with this dress. I'm a curvy girl, so I need stretchy material or a lot of adjustments when making my own clothes so they will fit my curves. Here's what my dress looked like when I finished:

And here is my dress Easter day after I bought a yellow cardigan ($15 at The Limited Outlet!!) and made a belt from large elastic and made a blue flowered pin to go on the belt:



If I can perfect my dress, I will do a tutorial on it in the future.

I hope everyone's Easter was lovely and full of bright colors as well! Happy Spring and Sewing, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment