Jana

Jana

Thursday, July 21, 2011

(Okay, so it's not Tuesday's) Food: Cappuccino Pancakes

I didn't get up early enough to make coffee for Joe and me, and since I only drink about 1 cup, I didn't want to make an entire pot, only to waste most of it. I did want, though, that good coffee taste this morning. I don't know if it's really caffeine that helps me get moving in the morning, or if I've programmed my brain to perk up when I taste that wonderful coffee taste, but I needed my coffee fix somehow. And since Thursdays are pancake/waffle day for breakfast, I came up with the great idea of making cappuccino pancakes! They tasted incredible, and because I used decaf, I felt okay to give the kids a few flapjacks. So here's the recipe:

What you need:
2 cups all purpose flour
3 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp white sugar
1 1/4 cup milk
1 egg
3 Tbsp butter, melted
2 tsp vanilla
2 packets of single serving instant coffee (you can use more or less depending on taste. I started with one, did one round of pancakes, tried one, and decided I needed one more)
Powdered sugar (Optional)

Steps:
1. Mix dry ingredients together in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, mix wet ingredients together. Pour wet ingredients in to the large bowl and stir. Make sure that the majority of the instant coffee grinds "melt" into the batter.
2. In a skillet or frying pan, and on medium-high heat, cook pancakes until brown on both sides.
3. Serve with light powdered sugar.

Since it's summer, you can also prepare the dry ingredients in a ziplock bag, and add the wet ingredients while you are out camping with your family. Pancakes are one of my favorite things to make while camping because they give you the necessary fuel for a day's hike.

I do have a picture, but haven't uploaded it yet. I will add it soon. Give it a try and let me know what you think or what you would add to it (or not add)

No comments:

Post a Comment