Jana

Jana

Sunday, July 24, 2011

A Call for Help with 31 Days of Praying for Teachers

August is almost here, which means the weather is about to turn cooler, football season is just around the corner, and teachers and students will be returning for another 180 days of fun, fellowship, and education. As a former teacher, I always took the summer to pray for my future students and for my sanity to make it the entire 180 school days. Now that I have school-aged children, and I no longer teach, I have spent this summer really focusing on praying for my children, their classmates (future and past), and their teachers. My first child is smart, smart, smart! and the typical 1st born child.  My second child is a handful. VERY smart, but a handful nonetheless.

 I used to post on Facebook daily prayers from "31 Days of Praying for Your Husband," "31 Days of Praying for Your Children," and "31 Days of Praying for Your Pastor." I searched and searched for a similar plan for praying for teachers...and I couldn't find any. I was a little disheartened that people spend so much time accusing teachers for not teaching their children properly, but yet may not be willing to pray for the teachers. Notice I said two things there 1) "disheartened", not "surprised". As a former teacher, I have been called some really horrible things by parents (for example, I was called "the worst mother any child could ever be cursed to have" by a mother who was mad that her son failed my class and then could not graduate). So it's not surprising, but very disheartening. and 2) I said "may not be willing". I just don't know if parents really think about praying for teachers. I think many people just don't really understand the amount of work and stress a teacher goes through during the entire year (not just the school year).

::stepping down from my soap box::

So with school coming up, I wanted to post some prayers and scripture for us to pray for our teachers. I would like your help. Please submit a prayer (and a verse, if possible) for teachers. It does not have to be long (1-3 sentences). I will collect these, resubmit them, and then, if you follow me on FB, will be posting them starting August 1st. Also, if you have a link to some prayers, please share them as well. Maybe we can all get some more ideas on how to put this together.

Here are some additional links to prayers (not for teachers, but for those in authority) that may be adapted for teachers:


And here is an example of a verse and prayer a friend of mine sent me when I sent out this plea:

"Read Psalm 19.

Prayer: Oh, Lord, You have given us, both, a tremendous honor, and a tremendous opportunity to teach others about you. And though we work through many different avenues, some teaching in public school, others in private school, online, or right from their very own home, it is joy to be Your servant. May we, as a very wise college professor once said, "strive not just to be teachers who are Christian, but rather, strive to be Christian teachers."

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart 
be pleasing in your sight, 
O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer." 

Please search your hearts and help me in praying for those who are in charge of preparing those who will be leading our country in the future.




Some of the incredible teachers in a long line of teachers my children and I will encounter for next 16 years. 

No comments:

Post a Comment