Jana

Jana

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Wednesday's Cleaning: Room by Room Series: The Kitchen, part 1

Okay, I'm here! I have been going back and forth with Melissa Ringstaff, founder of A Virtuous Woman (here's her own blog as well) to make sure I had all my ducks in a row. This is how it's going to work for the next few weeks: I'm going to attach a link to her links each week where you can find the information I'm going to share. I will then highlight some of the tips she gives in cleaning. Why am I just referring instead of creating? You may ask. Well, what Melissa has put together is years of experience and so much more insight on ways to deep clean your home. So I am going to add some of my own comments, but I am mostly going to be going through this with you, page by page.

Also, here's a little disclaimer for Melissa. She is going to release a book with the information I'm going to share and SO MUCH MORE in the near future. Keep an eye out for it (and I will do my best to let you know when it's been released).

So let us begin.

First, let me stress the importance of creating a schedule, whether it is hourlydaily, weekly, or monthly. When I first started, this was seriously a must for me. I found some great links (like the ones I just showed you and this one) that helped me. Maybe it's the teacher in me that has to be organized. Or maybe it's my crazy personality that has to find SOME order or I will never find my keys...or my mind. But until this becomes a part of your daily life and schedule, I recommend finding a calendar that works for you.

The Kitchen, part 1 (Link to Melissa's entry here and here)

Cleaning the Kitchen monthly highlight(s): 

  • Clean the top of the refrigerator. I mentioned this before in Things We Forget to Clean, and I think it stands for another reminder. Since the last time I cleaned mine, it has been a dumping ground, once again, for cereal boxes, thermoses for the kids, and candy Joe is trying to hide from me. 
Cleaning the Kitchen weekly highlight(s): 
  • Wipe down the inside of the fridge. This one always catches up on me. I start looking for something in the fridge and then wonder when that bottle of salsa fell over and spilled out to dry into a nasty gunk in the back of my top shelf. Remember to check out the link where I gave tips on homemade cleaning for the inside of the fridge. 
  • Clean out the freezer. Yup. How many times have you reached for some meat you knew was somewhere in your freezer only to see that it didn't freeze well and you're not really sure what it is? Not happen to you? It has to me! Or I get the sudden urge to buy ice cream only to not like it so much but I don't have the heart to throw away only to find it months later to give it a second chance and get super grossed out! Yeah, I don't clean out my freezer as much as I should. 
Cleaning the Kitchen daily highlight(s): 
  • Clean back splash and microwave. I think if I did this after each meal, I wouldn't really have such a problem when I decide to tackle the kitchen, how about you? Maybe this could be a chore for one of the older kids to do after everyone has finished eating dinner. 
  • Scrub sink until it's shiny. Okay, I can't find the direct link to the article I read about how to keep a shiny sink every day, but here's where I found the idea. I love the idea of having a shiny sink when I wake up in the morning. For some reason it makes me want to cook something...and then clean up. For reals, it does! 
  • Rinse out sponges and rags at the end of the day. I started doing this after following Melissa's Bible Study (where I'm getting most of this information from). It has become an (almost) nightly thing to let my sponges and dish rags sit in a sink of bleached water overnight. I don't recommend doing this with a nice rag, but hey! At least people will know you care enough to disinfect your rags every night or so! 

So that's about it for this week. My goal is to focus on cleaning the refrigerator and stove in detail next week. 

PS: This is how I feel sometimes! 
Photo credit: 


Happy cleaning, yall! Hopefully we'll get this done just in time for Christmas so everyone will comment on how incredible your house looks! 

No comments:

Post a Comment