Jana

Jana

Monday, November 21, 2011

Tuesday's Food: My traditional Crockpot Stuffing

A few years ago I was given the responsibility of making the stuffing for Thanksgiving. I searched and searched for a recipe and found one in the Fix It and Forget It cookbook. It went over so well that it has become my normal thing to bring. I LOVE it! Now, I will be honest. There have been some years that I planned poorly on cooking this and ended up with burnt stuffing. So, if you follow this recipe, make sure you plan ahead for it.

Now, to keep up with Stephanie O'Dea's Year of Slow Cooking that Tara (over at MommyTime) and I have been going through. I was a little played out on her recipes, but now that the weather is supposed to be getting cooler (do you hear me, Rob Fowler! I need you to prescribe some colder weather!!!), I am gearing up for some soups and hot drinks complements of my crockpot. I searched Stephanie's site and found, well, what do you know, pretty much the same stuffing recipe I follow! She adds a few other ingredients and her recipe doesn't necessarily call for fresh herbs. Here's her recipe, and below is pretty much mine (slightly adjusted from the Fix It book). NOTE: I will be cooking it after I post this entry. BUT I must say, I wouldn't be posting this if I thought it was anything short of awesome! So enjoy! 

Thanksgiving Herb Stuffing

Ingredients: 
  • 1 bag of stuffing bread (I used Pepperidge Farm Herb stuffing) 
  • 1 large yellow onion, diced
  • 1 cup celery, diced
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/4 cup parsley
  • 2 Tbsp rosemary
  • 2 tsp thyme
  • 2 tsp marjoram
  • 2 tsp sage
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 2 cups chicken broth
Directions: 
  1. Grease crockpot. (Trust me on this one. I didn't do it one year, and it didn't turn out so well)  
  2. Saute onion and celery in butter until both of softened. Remove from heat and all herbs and seasoning. 
  3. In a large bowl, mix stuffing bread with herb mixture. Add enough broth to moisten. 
  4. Dump the stuffing into the greased crockpot and cook on HIGH for 2 hours, occasionally turning. 
That's about it! You won't regret it if you try it. I will say that if 1 bag of stuffing isn't enough, I have added half of another bag and 1/4 cup of butter to the crock, and it turned out fine. Keep that in mind if you are serving a bunch of people. Once you dump it in the pot, see if it fills it up. If not, add more bread and butter. AND  you can also cut up an entire stale loaf if you want, but, frankly, that's just too much for me to do. 

Hope you enjoy and Happy Thanksgiving! 

No comments:

Post a Comment