Jana

Jana

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Thursday's Crafting: Homemade (or semi-homemade) Christmas Gifts

If you are a personal friend of mine or a family member (you can be both, by the way), you know that I am all about making gifts! I remember in high school being that weird girl that glued feathers on a piece of decorated cardboard with a picture of me and my friend and attached a note that said "Birds of a Feather Flock Together". Yeah, that was me. I never really had a lot of money to buy a gift, and I always appreciated gifts that people took the time to make and not just pick up in a dash to Wal-Mart. To me, Christmas isn't about getting gifts; it's about developing a relationship with others in love and sharing His love. It's really, really, really hard to explain to family and friends that I don't need presents (although I like getting them; who doesn't?) to know you love me. 

BUT if you are in the same boat, you may be trying to find ways to save money and still give meaningful presents this year. And since the blow up Santa and blazing Christmas lights on the house on my street apparently are announcing that Christmas is here (still more than a month away, by the way), I guess I need to go ahead and share some ideas with you before you finish your Christmas shopping. I will share some of my ideas I have done in the past and will also share some links to other people's ideas (by the way, I'm not sharing the link to what I'm doing this year as a present...but after Christmas, I will share!). Take a  look! See something you like, make it and then let me know how it goes! 

Presents of Jana's Christmas Past


1. Shortbread cookies in SC and Palmetto Tree shapes
2. Bread (pumpkin, gingerbread, apple cinnamon, cinnamon streusal)
3. Homemade gingerbread cookies 
4. Gifts in a jar (cookie mix for those with kids; soup mix for those without)
5. Blueberry Jam and Friendship bread
6. Chocolate Truffles 
7. Coasters, hotplates, and meat rubs (all homemade)
8. Apple Butter and homemade soap
9. Fleece scarfs and heating pads 

Here's the fleece scarf I made mom last year. SUPER easy, and VERY usable! 


Links to Ideas Online

1. Gifts for Teachers. I blogged about this at the beginning of the school year, but I think it works here as well. Don't forget your kids' teachers this holiday! 
2. Gifts in a Jar. This isn't the typical cookie or soup mix a lot of people make. And this was something I was looking to make for other occasions. 
3. Gifts for Children. I love this idea! Kids always end up playing with the boxes anyway! What parents hasn't said, "I don't know why I got him that expensive present! He is having more fun with the box it came in!" at some point. 
4. Teacup Necklaces. Oh my word! I LOVE this idea! And my crafty friends out there, I know you would love this too!
5. Martha Stewart. I don't normally link to her because, well, sometimes she just comes up with the weirdest materials, AND I was trying to find links that most people don't see, but for this ONE TIME ONLY, I will link to dear Martha.  


I hope this gets you in the right direction. If you are making gifts this year (little or big), share your ideas. And if you blog about it, share your link and I'll add it to the list! Happy crafting

No comments:

Post a Comment