Jana

Jana

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Oh The Places You Will....well, you know

Twenty-six years ago I stepped up to the front of my classroom, accepted my "diploma", and had no clue what the next years would bring. At my kindergarten graduation, I expect my teachers, Mrs. Moultrie and Mrs. Register, wondered what kind of woman I would grow to be. I was a spunky child with a ton of energy and more imagination than should be allowed in a 5 year old's head. I was gearing up for the next part of my life: first grade.   


Now here I am 26 years later. I have a child who is now graduating from kindergarten and another about to enter kindergarten. Where did the time go? As a mother I am now in the same position as my formers teachers and my parents in asking myself what is going to become of my children? What will they be? Right now my oldest wants to be a sheriff...in Texas...because apparently, the only place that has sheriffs are in Texas. My middle child wants to be a farmer....again in Texas...because farmers only live in Texas. And my youngest child, my daughter, is developing her own personality. (Yes, mom, I DID get a child just like me...and she sure doesn't march to the beat of MY drum, much like I didn't for you). Right now she wants to be a dancer. Yes, my 2 year old has told me she wants to be a dancer. Ambition seems to have a hold of all of my children, and it almost breaks my heart. Gone are the days when I make the decisions for them. 


So, I turn them over to God. I love the verse in Proverbs 22:6: "Point your kids in the right direction; when they're old they won't be lost." My husband and I have discussed so many times how to approach our children with God's Word. I have seen parents force it on their children to the point that the kids reject the teachings as soon "as they are free". I have seen others not really even supplement at home what the children learn from Sunday School and Wednesday night services. Some times those kids continue to grow in the Lord, other times the kids fall away from the Word because they never knew the importance of being FED all the time, not just Sundays and Wednesdays. What we've decided is to lead by example. Having a relationship with God is not just going to church, it is actually having a relationship with God! You can't have a good relationship with someone if you just barely speak to them once or twice a week. It involves daily conversations, questions, seeking, singing, giving praises (You know that God rejoices with us?! How awesome is that?!!), and having quiet moments. Some times a good relationship is just enjoying each other's company and comfort. Joe and I want to teach this to our kids. 


I found a great verse this morning in 2 Timothy 3: 14-17: "Stick with what you learned and believed, sure of the integrity of your teachers—why, you took in the sacred Scriptures with your mother's milk! There's nothing like the written Word of God for showing you the way to salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. Every part of Scripture is God-breathed and useful one way or another—showing us truth, exposing our rebellion, correcting our mistakes, training us to live God's way. Through the Word we are put together and shaped up for the tasks God has for us." 


So what are the tasks God has for my children? I'm not quite sure, and I may never know, but I pray that God will reign in their decisions. I know they will make mistakes, we all do, but the Lord has plans for my children that will help them to grow into incredible adults, and hopefully they will find the joy of sharing the Lord with their children. 
          

1 comment: