Jana

Jana

Monday, May 16, 2011

Lessons at home, May 9-13

As many of you know, I have one child in kindergarten and two at home. I use the website, Hubbard's Cupboard to prepare and reinforce my children's education at home and to also keep me sane. The section I use is geared for the 3 year olds (half way between my two at home), and it generally follows the regular school year. That means last week and this week (May 16-20) are the last two lessons. Most of what we do is review of letters, nursery rhymes, Bible stories, and songs. If I had started this blog earlier, I would have tracked for yall what we have done. But since I didn't, I'll just have to show you what we did last week. The theme? Butterflies!! Here's what we did:

1. We read The Very Hungry Caterpillar
2. We watched a video of a caterpillar becoming a butterfly (love that YouTube, sometimes)
3. They made their first butterfly (steps shown below)

a. materials                                          b. draw an outline of a butterfly
 

c. Cut out butterfly                                  d. peel half of butterfly and tape to the table (see tape?)
 

e. cut out squares in tissue paper and have them attach to one side of the butterfly
 

f. Fold top half of butterfly over to seal the colors (I added pipe cleaners and eyes)


 4. Symmetrical Butterflies (it didn't work as well for me because the painted dried too quickly but they got the point) 

 

5. Butterfly clothes pin alphabet

 

 


They had a ball this week! We talked about how the stages of a butterfly reflect our relationship with God. I LOVE this website and look forward to doing it in more depth with Abigail next year! 

No comments:

Post a Comment