Jana

Jana

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Let's Party!!

Making plans three months in advance, doing the research, rushing around until the last minute, and enjoying the afterglow. Creating a party that people want to come to and will talk about later on has always been a passion of mine. Growing up, my mother and I would come up with themed birthday parties for me every year. I've had everything from a scavenger hunt birthday party, to a field day party, to a masquerade party, to a Mary Kay party that ended with a hay ride. The parties weren't necessarily about me as it was about making memories for all my friends.

Just the other day my sister and I were out to lunch, and we talked about what I would do after Abigail started school. Would I go back to teaching? Would I find another job? What? What would I do? I don't have patience that so many of my friends have to create enough items to sell. I'm not gifted enough to teach lessons on really anything out of my own home. And although I could tutor someone in English, I don't know if I am ready to jump back into that yet. Then it hit me! If push came to shove, and I really needed to keep myself busy, I could be a party planner. Not anything big time, but I could offer my time to do the research and set up of parties for others.  I have had quite a few people ask me lately on ideas for parties or how to set so and so up. I love, love, LOVE to help! So why not?

Now, this post isn't about me begging for someone to "hire" me to plan a party. All I really want to do is express my love for channeling my creative juices. Let me give you an example. In January, my daughter had her 2nd birthday. She so desperately wanted a princess party, and although she's not really dainty like a princess, she loves the "romance" of a princess. So, I gave her a Fairy Princess party. Although her birthday was in January, I was amazed at how many things I could find in the stores that were perfect for her party! Target was selling little flowers, Tinkerbell flower pots, and little flower trinkets in their Dollar section. I purchased a long-desired cupcake tier, and began the planning. Her party was one big event that involved cupcakes with flowers on it, cake pops, PB&J sandwiches, and a LARGE fairy that I painted on the front door window with window paints. It was frankly a magical event. And although I was rushing around at the last minute, and was concerned that there wasn't enough room in my house for all of the little fairy guests, so many people reassured me that those creative juices weren't for naught.



I look forward to sharing with you my future plans for parties, birthday or not. And hope that my ideas will inspire someone to have a magical party as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment