Jana

Jana

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Recipe: Twice-Baked Sweet Potatoes

Twice-Baked Potatoes are pretty regular in our house. When I have extra collards leftover, my family always enjoys a Twice-Baked Stuffed Potato, a meal all in itself. But I have not tried sweet potatoes yet.

I looooovvvee sweet potatoes. It was always something I could bond over with my Nana, as the two of us could down a large sweet potato like it's nobody's business. So when Piggly Wiggly has them on sale where I can get 6 LARGE sweet potatoes for 2 bucks, I grabbed those babies right up and get to cooking.

Tonight's recipe is inspired by my Twice-Baked Stuffed Potatoes. I started to look around Pinterest, Allrecipes, and all kinds of other places looking for some inspiration, but decided to just try something on my own. And I am just so happy with my creation. My house smells like Thanksgiving {a week early}, with hints of gingerbread and cinnamon wafting from my oven. And I can't wait to share it with you.


Twice-Baked Sweet Potatoes

Ingredients: 

  • 6 medium sweet potatoes, scrubbed, pricked, and baked {I did mine in the crockpot.}
  • 2 containers of Activia Breakfast Blends, Maple and Brown Sugar 
  • 1/2 cup {chopped}  Stacy's Pita Chips Simply Gingerbread {These are limited time only, so grab a bag while they are out}
  • 15 almonds, finely chopped OR 1/4 cup 
  • 1/2 cup mix of craisins and golden raisins. 
  • 2 Tbsp ground cinnamon
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350. 
  2. Once potatoes have been baked, set aside to cool before handling. 
  3. Meanwhile, mix together the Gingerbread chips, almonds, craisins, and cinnamon
  4. Once the potatoes have cooled a little, lightly run a knife around the top of the sweet potato, and scoop the insides out, making sure the keep the potato skin in tact as much as possible. All of mine looked like little canoes. Place the scooped insides into a large bowl. 
  5. Mix the yogurt with the insides of the potato until the yogurt mixed well. Add the gingerbread mixture, mixing well. 
  6. Using a spoon, scoop the potato mixture back into the sweet potato canoes {hehe} until it reaches just the top. Once all the potatoes are full, add whatever is left of the mixture to the top. The potatoes will be overflowing. 
  7. If you have anymore of those Gingerbread Pita Chips, chop up about 5 more real fine. Sprinkle on top. 
  8. Place into the oven for 20 minutes. 
Here's the directions in pictures: 
6 baked sweet potatoes, set aside to cool

Here are the rest of the ingredients

IN LOVE with these. 

I buy a TON of these and freeze them. Then I pop them into a smoothie. SO GOOD

My sweet potato canoes 

Craisin/Raisin, chopped almonds, and chopped Gingerbread Chips 

Fill just to the top 

Here they are all stuffed right before I sprinkled the tops with crushed Gingerbread chips and baked them. 

This could easily be served as a side dish, a main dish, or even a dessert. After putting the information in my calorie counter, EACH STUFFED SWEET POTATO is just under 300 calories, 51 carbs, 4 g fat, and 8 g protein. 

Please try these and comment here how yours turned out. If you have a recipe you like with sweet potatoes, please share that as well. 

Happy cooking

No comments:

Post a Comment