Jana

Jana

Monday, November 12, 2012

Devotion: Always Being Thankful


Photo Credit 

November. Seriously the best month of the year. I know, I know. If you have been following me, you have most likely heard me say this countless times. But I honestly believe it. Check out the wonderful trend that is sweeping through Facebook now, as so many people list, each day, something they are thankful for. It truly is a blessing to see how God is working.

Today I was reminded, again, of how incredibly wonderful November is. As I opened my devotion and prayer journal eeeaarrrlllyyy this morning, I was ready to talk about Veterans Day and how incredibly grateful I am and how honored I am to know so many people who have faced mankind at its ugliest through war. As I was going through my devotions, of which one I used the same verse Proverbs31.org used, each one was about focusing on all the many, many blessings God has given us. That particular devotion gave a few ways we can remind ourselves of being thankful for what God has given us. Please check it out. There are some great ideas there.

 I am also following Women Living Well's weekly challenge on "Making Your Home a Haven". Last week's challenge, in combination of this week's challenge served as yet another reminder of how much I had to be thankful for. She suggests lighting a candle in the home, not only to spread delicious scents around the house, but to also serve as a reminder to pray for peace for your family. What a great way to also remind yourself to thank God for a blessing.

So as I opened my prayer journal today, I wrote out the things God has blessed with me. I found that it was important for me to not only list what I was thankful for, but to write out why I was thankful for it. Here is what I wrote:

You have given me a beautiful home where we can serve you by serving others. 
You have given me an opportunity to stay at home and to use that time to glorify  you by ministering to others, to teach my children your Truths, and to develop a better relationship with you. 
You have given me 3 incredible kids all who continuously astound me in the way they learn. 
You have given me an incredible husband who works hard every day and who is constantly working at being a wonderful husband and father. 
You have given me a church home that preaches the Bible and is willing to gently step on my toes so my relationship with You is continually growing. 
You have given me a church family who encourages me to serve and, in turn, is always showing me how to serve. 
You have given me parents who are still married for almost 40 years, and give examples how to be patient and loving to each other. 
You have given me a sister who gives me a friend for life. 
You have given me wonderful in-laws who love and support me, despite the fact that I am the more "spirited" one. 

And this was all I could fit in my journal for today. Even now, as I type this, I am reminded of so many other wonderful things God has placed in my life. Even things, that at first, seemed to not be so much as blessings. God, in His time, showed me how truly blessed I am. 

Take the time today to make a list of things you are thankful for. Make a running list in your family that others can see and add to. And don't do it just this time of year, but do it all year long

If you have a special blessing you are thankful for, please share with us by commenting below. You have no clue how your blessings remind others of the things they, too, need to be thankful for. 

No comments:

Post a Comment