Jana

Jana

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Make Your Own: Bath Bombs (or Bath Fizzies)

Oh, Easter eggs, I knew I could come up with some other use for you rather than just reappearing in random places around my home. I already made a Bird Feeder with so many of those leftover Easter eggs, but now I'm going to use them as a mold for those Bath Fizzies I wanted to make. As part of my Make Your Own Series, I have been waiting for a great opportunity to make these little "peace-makers". I did a little research to find the most common recipe using the most common stuff I already had around the house. These bath fizzies were super easy to make, and my children have already enjoyed using them. 

Here's the "recipe"...and for those of you who struggled through Chemistry class in high school, like I did, this will give you a new sense of appreciation for that particular science. 

Make Your Own Bath Fizzies 

Things You'll Need
(NOTE: most of the recipes I found said to measure the dry ingredients by weight. I didn't have a kitchen scale, so I didn't do it by weight, and they still turned out fine)
  • 8 oz Baking Soda
  • 4 oz Citric Acid (see note below about this) 
  • 4 oz Corn Starch 
  • 40 oz Sea Salt or Kosher Salt 
  • 2 1/4 tsp Water
  • 2 tsp of Essential or Fragrance Oil (make sure you use the kind for the body, NOT the kind for candles....and I used Peppermint because I had some left over from this Christmas gift Minty Bath Salts
  • 2 1/2 Tbsp of light oil... I used extra light olive oil
  • Food coloring 
  • PLASTIC EASTER EGGS...the sides don't have to match or even stick together. 
Instructions
  1. Put all the dry ingredients in a large glass bowl. Gently whisk these together until it is smooth. 
  2. In a small bowl (or even a 1 cup measuring cup), blend together the wet ingredients. You are going to want to do this in a container that will make the next step easy for slooow pouring. 
  3. SLOWLY pour the about a Tbsp at a time of the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients while whisking. If you are pouring too quickly, it will start foaming. If foaming happens, quickly mix the dry ingredients and foam together to stop the reaction. Once all the wet is mixed with the dry, it should clump together fairly easily. 
  4. Firmly fill each side of the plastic Easter egg with the mixture. Let it set (really it can be ready in about 2 minutes). 
  5. TO USE: Gently tap out the Bath Fizzie from the Easter egg into a tub of warm water. It will fizz your bath into a sweet getaway. For my daughter, I just dropped the plastic egg half into the tub. We watched it fizz and slowly rise to the surface as the egg emptied of the Bath Fizzie. She loved it! 
I stored a bunch of these in a ziplock bag in the bathroom. They have kept pretty well inside the plastic eggs. I was pleasantly pleased with the final product. Try it with a different scent, put a few together of Mom on Mother's Day or make a few to give as a birthday gift. 

NOTE on Citric Acid: this was the hardest to find, but I ended up finding them in the canning section of the grocery store. This is canning season, so it was on the shelves. If you are looking for it during NON-canning season (is there ever a season such as this?) you may need to check out your local Ace Hardware. 

So here is my attempt to get a picture of the fizzing in action. Can you see the yellow Easter egg on the left? 

As all the Bath Fizz emptied the Easter egg, it slowly rose to the top. See all the bubbles? Neat, huh? 
And this is where I store them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment