Jana

Jana

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Let Me Show You Peace

"Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me--watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly." Matthew 11:28-30 (MSG) 


It's the first day of summer break...well, the first day of summer break where my husband is not home to share the children with me. Last night I set some pretty clear expectations on my children for this summer. I set their alarm clocks for 8 am, and told them they were not allowed out of their rooms before that alarm goes off, and when they do decide to come out, they had to be dressed and their beds made up. You see, my children have a habit of getting up on the weekends and holidays at 6 am and then they sit on the couch in their skivvies. I'm just not too excited about that being a habit all summer long. I need some quiet time before the hurricane of Debney children take over the rest of the day. 


And amazingly, this morning, 2/3 of my kids followed directions, even the dogs followed directions and were decently quiet until right at 8. Those moments of peace gave me time to make a cup of coffee and sit down with my Lord to discuss today's agenda. So I opened today's daily devotion, and what do I see, but a devotion about a woman who has a hard time being comfy in the peace the Lord provides for us. (Here's the link to the devotion, if you are interested). I found it so awesome that God was providing moments of peace before a busy day and reminding me through the devotion and His Word that my time with him shouldn't be to discuss my expectations of the day's agenda, but to really just sit still and let God speak. You know, "Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10a. I laughed as I wrote in my prayer journal. Instead of me reading that devotion while my children were running around getting dressed or when the day is in the midst of being busy, He gave me a few moments of peace while He was reminding me to just be quiet in those moments and let Him do all the talking. And for that reminder, I am grateful. 


I love how God sends these little moments of reminders, these little moments to say, "Hey! Just calm down, sit down, and let Me show you something special; let me tell you something awesome." May you also have a few moments of peace today where God opens your heart to His truth, and shares with you words that are meant to comfort and love. 


Photo Credit 

No comments:

Post a Comment