Jana

Jana

Monday, February 4, 2013

Low Carb Crepes: A REVIEW



As a low carb-er, I am finding that eggs are becoming pretty essential to my weight loss. And as much as I like eggs, there's only so much fried eggs, boiled eggs, omelets, and quiches I can eat for breakfast. And because I'm a new low carb-er, I still crave the taste of bread. So when I saw "Low Carb Crepes" on one of my new favorite food blogs, Your Lighter Side, I about did a flip in my kitchen. I have made crepes before {see here for a not-so-low-carb recipe}, using an egg-based flour mixture, and they are delicious, but not so good for someone who is trying to lose that nasty weight.

I attempted this recipe, keeping it as close as I could, based on what ingredients I had in the house. I put the recipe in MyFitnesspal.com to see if my adjustments kept it the same amount of carbs...and they did. So I will be sharing the recipe with you, giving you the review.

Low Carb Crepes {Original recipe found HERE}
Note: An asterisk * shows that this is an ingredient that was NOT on the original. Please see the original recipe, link above, for clarification.

Ingredients:

  • 3 eggs, separated
  • 3 ounces cream cheese
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/8 tsp cream of tartar
  • 2 Tbsp Aunt Jemima low sugar syrup*
  • 2 Tbsp coconut oil*
  • 1 cup whipping cream
  • 2 packets of Pyure Stevia*
  • 1/2 cup frozen berries *{the original recipe does not say how much. For just myself, I used a little less than 1/4 cup}
Directions: Because I did almost exactly what she did on her recipe, I am just pasting it below. Any changes will have a bolded statement next to it. 

In a bowl, whip egg whites with cream of tartar until peaks are stiff (about 5 minutes).
In separate bowl, blend cream cheese, yolks, baking powder and Aunt Jemima low sugar syrup. Adding half of the yolk batter at a time to the whites and using a tall spoon (I use an iced tea spoon), make a lazy sine wave {not sure what a "lazy sine wave" is, so I just gently folded} through the batter once. Turn the bowl 90 degrees and repeat. Add second half of the yolk mix and repeat sine wave two more times.
Using scant ½ cup scoop {I just spooned out batter to make 4-inch crepes}, drop batter onto heated pan. Let cook until bottom is firm (the batter’s not yours) about 3-5 minutes. Flip and press lightly. Let cook for another 1-2 minutes, until crepe is set. Move to a plate to cool.
When ready to serve:
Arrange crepes on a plate (best looking side down).
In a bowl, whip heavy cream with two packets Stevia until still peaks form. Spoon cream into the center of each crepe. Roll and place seam-side down. Tuck fresh fruit in, on and around the crepes. Sprinkle one packet of Splenda along the top (optional). {I did NOT do this}
Refrigerate leftovers.
She says further down that these crepes also make great wraps for sandwiches. So I immediately made some sandwiches and set them aside for future meals. 



My "Official" Review

Was it easy to make? 
Yes. It was very easy to make. My only major complaint is that it took me three bowls to make. BUT, it didnt take long. I'm thinking it would be easy for me to prep some of it before hand, such as the yolk mixture and the whipping cream, to speed up the process for a quick morning. One other problem, MINOR, was that her recipe had more packets of sweetener than I saw her instructions had, so I was all about using 4 packs of sugar, and ended up using only 2.

How did it taste? 
Oh. My. Word. I kept checking the recipe to see if I had done it right because it was SO GOOD. It tasted more like a dessert than it did breakfast, and it made me giddy thinking I was eating something so good. I am still getting used to the taste of stevia versus cane sugar, but this recipe really did a great job turning me around to the healthier option.

As for the crepe itself, without the cream and berries. It tasted like a flour-based pancake. No kidding. It was very good.

Did it make me feel full? 
I ate 3 crepes {1 1/2 servings} and was seriously sufficiently full. It's been about 4 hours, and I have not even had a craving for anything else. So I would say "yes", it did make me feel full. I don't like feeling so full I want to go to sleep, so this actually hit the spot.

I will be making these Low Carb Crepes a part of my regular menu. Very, very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment