Jana

Jana

Monday, September 24, 2012

Devotion: The Character of God

"No one can see God, but Jesus Christ is exactly like Him." Colossians 1: 15

Photo Credit 


I had an entirely different devotion I was going to share this morning, but when I did my Bible study in Colossians, through Good Morning Girls, I was hit with God's word so hard, there was nothing else I could think of but to reflect on God's Character through Jesus Christ.

Today's Bible study was focusing on Colossians 1:15-16, and it mostly touched on Jesus. I love, love, love how Paul is reminding us that Jesus wasn't just a man; Jesus was also God. He says, "All things were made through Christ and for Christ. Yup. That means His power is what created you, me, and has authority over it all. It also means everything was made for Him. A good reminder that we are all made for a purpose, and that there were no accidents.

What's really cool, though, is although none of us can see God the Father, we most certainly can see God's character through God the Son. They are the one and the same. One of my favorite illustrations of God [and highlighted in today's Bible Study] is comparing God to the forms of water. Water comes in three forms: solid [ice], liquid, and gas [steam or vapors]. Although it's different forms, and each form has a different purpose, all are still water. Jesus is FULLY MAN and FULLY GOD. When you see Jesus, you are also seeing God.

What are some examples of the Character of God shown through Jesus?

  • He found joy in fellowship [John 2: 1-11]
  • He had compassion for the rejected [Matthew 8: 1-4]
  • He offered grace to the sinful [John 8: 1-11]
  • He was angry at those who defiled God's church [Matthew 21:12]
  • He cried at the death of others [John 11]
  • He had patience with those who were beating him [Mark 15: 16-20]
  • He loves us [Luke 23:26-29]
And so many other ways we can see God's character through Jesus. 

Let me take this one step further. The definition of "Christian" is "Follower of Christ". If we are to be called after His name, to be a follower, we must also reflect those characteristics. Not only did Jesus come to save the world through His death and resurrection, but He also came teach us how to treat each other. If we are to reflect Jesus, we must also have love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control, or The Fruits of the Spirit. Because I follow Jesus and am constantly studying His character through Bible study, worship, and prayer, then I should be also be reflecting His character. John MacArthur says, "There has never been a person like Jesus Christ...never. For God only invaded the human stream once." I will never fully be like God, as Jesus was, because I am only human,  but it is my responsibility and my desire to mold my character into His image. Not so others see me, but so that others may see CHRIST in me. And if they see Jesus, they are seeing God. 

What an incredible gift God has given us in showing us who He really is through His Son, Jesus. 

No comments:

Post a Comment