Jana

Jana

Thursday, October 25, 2012

100 Calorie Brownie with Coconut Whipped Topping {a review}

Chocolate....mmm....comfort food for my woman's soul. As much as I love chocolate, I know that more than just a piece of dark chocolate a day is not necessarily going to help me lose/maintain my weight. But because I have such a sweet tooth, and I'm normally craving chocolate like it's my life support, I have been trying to find acceptable, healthier options that meet my sweet tooth craving, but won't sabotage my efforts to live a healthier life.

My secret to success? Coconut. Yeah, yeah. I know I'm pretty sure I jumped on this band wagon, but experimenting with coconut the past few weeks has been interesting. I started adding coconut water to my smoothies. I bought up a bunch of cans of coconut milk at Big Lots and have been using the milk in my coffee, oatmeal, and other desserts. Here's the kicker: I don't really like coconut. Well, "imitation" coconut. It always smells like suntan lotion, and it's normally a turn off for me. I do know, though, that I'm coming to like this stuff, adding it here and there. Check the links below for other recipes where coconut is a factor. 

NOW back to chocolate {and really the reason why so many of you are reading this}. 

I found a recipe for 200 Calorie Hot Fudge Brownie Sundae on Pinterest {as I was looking for a way to make coconut whipped topping}, and since it was one of my favorite librarian's birthday, what better way to celebrate than to make brownies that won't make you feel like you have to hit the treadmill for 2 hours? 

We didn't make the hot fudge, the banana soft serve ice cream, or add the cherries, but check the link above for all those recipes. 

Here's the recipe for the brownie and the whipped topping: 

The brownie was in the shape of a rose. I have this nifty muffin tin from Williams-Sonoma...but I don't think they sell them anymore. :{ 
100 Calorie Brownie with Coconut Whipped Topping {all credit is due to Back to Her Roots}

Ingredients: 

Brownie: 
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce {I made my own since I didn't have any at the house}
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup egg whites {about 4}
  • 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • pinch of salt
  • 2/3 cups sugar
Whipped Topping: 
  • *1 can whipped topping, not lite {see NOTE below}
  • 1/4 cup confectioner's sugar 
Directions: 

Brownie: 
  1. Preheat oven to 350. Spray muffin tin with cooking spray. 
  2. In a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk together applesauce, vanilla, and egg whites until well combined. 
  3. Add flour, cocoa, salt, and sugar until just combined. 
  4. Pour in muffin tin and bake for 10-12 minutes. Let cool for 15-20 minutes. 
Whipped Topping: 
  1. Carefully open the cold can of coconut milk {say that 3x fast} without shaking or stirring. Spoon out the top white portion, leaving the coconut water on the bottom. 
  2. Whip coconut cream on high in an electric mixer until stiff peaks form, about 10 minutes
  3. Add in confectioner's sugar and mix for another 2 minutes. 
Assembly: {Uh...duh? But I'll add this anyway}

Once the muffins have cooled, add the coconut whipped topping on top. Eat. Each brownie is roughly 100 calories. 

NOTE: 
The recipe called for a closed can of cold coconut milk which you open when you are ready to mix. After trying out a few "whipped coconut" recipes, I have found the best way to utilize this is to gently open the can of coconut milk the night before and then place in the fridge. For some reason, this helps solidify the milk faster. The can I used for this recipe didn't have the milk and water separate, but I whipped it up anyway. I had to add a little more powdered sugar to thicken the topping enough that it would actually stay on the brownie. 

Other "Coconut" recipes I have tried: 
  1. Chocolate Frosting Shots
  2. Make Ahead Oatmeal Smoothies
  3. Overnight Refrigerator Oatmeal {I must say I have made this with and without coconut milk. The coconut milk made this SUPER thick, and I'm not sure I really like it too much.}
  4. Crockpot Pumpkin Oatmeal {I had to actually add a little more honey to it, and then it tasted like pumpkin pie oatmeal. These were super thick and froze well for smaller individual servings}
  5. Muffin Tin Smoothies
  6. Avocado Chocolate Pudding

No comments:

Post a Comment