Jana

Jana

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Tuesday's Food: Crockpot Fried Chicken

I did it. I sure did! I "fried" chicken drumsticks in the crockpot. I found this recipe after searching on Stephanie O'Dea's website, A Year of Slow Cooking, for something to do with drumsticks. We are low in the meat department of our freezer, and I'm not much for the bone-in-my-chicken meal, but it was on sale, and I bought it. After checking out Stephanie's site, I have learned to read the comments to see other suggestions. What I have found at Stephanie's website is the recipes are good, but not exactly healthy. So I try to reduce the fat and increase the healthy. I didn't do it with this dish. Now that I know how it tastes, though, in the future I am going to change it up just a bit.

Here's the original recipe.

And here is mine.

Crockpot Fried Chicken:
Ingredients: 

  • 5 thawed drumsticks
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted (this is what I'm changing next time. Not sure yet, but I'm changing it)
  • 1/4 cup flour (probably going to change this to wheat next time to see how it tastes)
  • 3 T seasoned salt
  • 1 T Italian seasoning
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
Directions
  • Shake and bake that chicken. Dump all your ingredients, minus the butter, into a plastic bag, dump in your chicken, and SHAKE!! 
  • Place your seasoned chicken into the crockpot and pour the melted butter over the chicken. This is how the chicken is going to "fry" 
  • Cook on HIGH for 6 hours or LOW for 8-10
This came out yummy, yummy. I think it needed a little more seasoning. Stephanie suggested her recipe needed more, so I added more to mine, and I still think it could have used more. The meat fell off the bone, though, and even my non-eater ate the chicken. I served it with steamed collard greens, steamed sweet corn, and a biscuit. It was a great Sunday afternoon dinner that I served on a Monday. I will try this again, with the new adjustments. If I remember, I'll let you know how it turned out. 






No comments:

Post a Comment